Friday, January 23, 2015

Keeping It 'Abstract Expressionist' With the iPhone

As I go about my daily routine I keep a look out for photo opportunities that feature interesting details and that have an abstract quality.  If they're a success I add them to my 'Industrial Abstract' collection.  I've spent time photographing rusty steel, parts of old trains, mining equipment, scrap metal, abandoned electric motors, iron filings, broken glass, battle scarred armament, even the bottom of a submarine.

The American Abstract Expressionist artist Jackson Pollock (1912-1956) produced many paintings that had this sort of feel; loads of dripping paint applied to canvas with gusto.  You can read about the tormented artist at http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Jackson_Pollock.

And what is the subject you ask?  It's the bottom of a well used aluminium row boat.  Image capture made with the iPhone 5.  Minor contrast adjustments made with Adobe Photoshop CS6.

No comments:

Post a Comment