Wednesday, August 13, 2014

Side by Side Comparison

Today;s post features two photos taken in more or less the same spot on the Duirnish Peninsula on the west coast of Skye.  One of these photos was taken with my iPhone and the other was taken with my Canon 5DII fitted with a Canon 24-105L series lens.

Apple lists the price of the 64GB iPhone 5S at $919.  Of course it's less with some sort of data plan but none the less, walk in to your nearest Apple store and that's the kind of money your're looking at. The phone is advertised to have an 8 megapixel camera.  The lens is about 1.5 mm across.  With the iPhone Retina display the images do look quite spectacular.  The iPhone of course does all sorts of stuff in addition to taking photos and allowing the user to make the odd call.

The Canon 5DII is out of date now so you can't really buy a brand new one.  The current version is the Canon 5DIII and it costs $3,400.  The 24-105 L series lens that I used will run you another $1300 or so.  So the Camera and lens will come in around $4,700.  It's quite a bit heavier than the iPhone and will shoot video in addition to taking photos - but no web access, text messaging capability or available apps.  And no phone.

I've done only a minor bit of editing to both photos and I cropped them to the same proportions.

Can you tell which one was taken with which camera?  Scroll down for the answer....








The top photo is the RAW file capture from the Canon 5DII converted to JPEG in Adobe Lightroom.  The bottom photo was taken with the iPhone.

1 comment:

  1. Great post Jim! I will always remember this when I think "should I bring my camera on this hike this time?"

    ReplyDelete