Sunday, March 3, 2013

Time for a New Camera?


I get asked a lot of questions about cameras. Sometimes the questions are vague; such as ‘what’s the best camera’; or they might be a little more precise, such as ‘what’s the best lens for _____?’ Most of the time my answer is a barrage of more questions as the answers to these inquiries are different for everyone. And the fact is that there is no ‘best’ of anything because each person’s needs are unique. In fact those needs can change from occasion to occasion; the camera you’d like to take on an African safari might be different than the one you’d use to photograph a child’s birthday party. So how to decide? Over the next day or two I’ll pose some questions and answers on this important topic. But before we dive in remember this – a new piece of camera gear will not a better photographer make.

TOP 10 REASONS TO BUY A NEW CAMERA

Unless your existing camera is holding you back in some way there’s probably no reason to replace it or seek an upgrade. So before you and your credit card head over to the camera store perhaps you need to put a check mark in one or more of the following boxes:

10. There are 5 people in my household and one camera – it’s never around when I want it
9. It’s time I got a digital camera
8. I want a camera over which I can take creative control
7. My old camera was lost/stolen/has been irretrievably damaged
6. I’d like a camera that shoots hi-def video as well as well as still images
5. My camera produces lousy images that don’t print well
4. My camera under performs; focus is too slow and images in challenging light conditions are not good
3. My camera is pocket size and I want a big camera with interchangeable lens characteristics
2. My camera is too big and cumbersome so I usually leave it at home
1. I have never had a camera

So I’ll leave you to reflect on this list and come up with your reasons for wanting a new camera – tomorrow we’ll start to come up with some evaluation criteria that will enable you to narrow down the choices.

Today's photo was taken in San Gimignano, Italy.

No comments:

Post a Comment