Saturday, November 3, 2012

Recent Projects

There was no client for this assignment; it's just a building I've been meaning to photograph for sometime.  The Peter Hemingway swimming pool and fitness centre in Coronation Park was named for the architect who designed it in the late 1960s.  I recall taking swimming classes there when I was in high school.  I liked to float on my back and look up at the structure trying to figure out how it worked.  When the Art Gallery of Alberta compiled their exhibit 'Capital Modern' (http://capitalmodernedmonton.com/)   several years ago featuring Edmonton's modernist buildings from 1940-1969 a photo of this building taken be architectural photographer Jimmy Dow was on the cover of the companion book.

Peter Hemingway left many fine buildings as his legacy.  Sadly, some of them, like Peter himself are no longer around.  Sounds like a project in the offing - photographing the buildings of Peter Hemingway and his peers.

No comments:

Post a Comment