Thursday, April 12, 2012

Banjo

This photo was made at great risk to my physical well being.  My goal on this outing was to get at least one photo of Banjo running toward me, preferably showing him airborne and with very shallow depth of field.  To acieve this I needed an accomplice in the form of my wife Terri.  Her job was to get Banjo into position.  In this photo she is on the other side of the hill.  When I gave the 'ready' call she would release Banjo then duck so she would not be in the frame.  I had the camera pre-focused on this exact spot.  It took several attempts to get this photo; if my timing was off he'd be out of focus, or in some cases he decided to take off in some crazy direction.

This is the best of the photos taken; I'd have liked it better if I'd been down a touch lower so there was more separation between Banjo and the ground but all things considered I'm pretty happy with the result.

And why the risk to my health?  Banjo is incoming at great speed and he has a poorly developed braking system that relys heavily on just slamming into things.  That and there was another dog running around that wanted to help out.  Justs seconds after this photo was taken I was under seige with dogs jumping around happily on top of me.

Canon 5DII with Canon 70-200 F2.8L IS USM; ISO 400, 1/8000 sec at F2.8.

No comments:

Post a Comment